Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Bubble-wrap...

Bubble-wrap. Fairly transparent, unseemingly sturdy and exquisitely protective. So simple and yet so desirable. The world would be a broken place without it.
It cloaks and shields in a way that your most delicate belongings can breathe and still survive a tough ride.

How very magical...

So much so that on some days, that is all I want. Some bubble-wrap.

To wrap myself and stay away from all that is wrong in the world and all that can go wrong - because as Murphy says, what can go wrong, will go wrong.

There are days when I want the world outside to be muffled because the voices in my head are loud enough. When I want to be sealed into a safe place without being suffocated.
There are days, when I want something as reliable as bubble-wrap just so I can tread out a little and come back to safety it if things get too rough. Having that sanctuary within my reach made me a little more daring, a little more adventurous - to take that extra step and to walk that extra mile. Because I knew there was a safe place within my grasp.

There was a time when my relationships would do just that. Bubble wrap me - giving me the time and space to heal, to recuperate. They were but a phone call away. Today, they feel far - separated by time and space, the folds that cocooned me seem to have become bigger, more open. Time and space have taken us farther apart, a little each day. Not too far but far enough for me miss that tight niche. To miss those embraces that would hush me to sleep on a bad day. To miss those gentle folds that would give me my space and yet shield me from the worst of world.

There are days when that's all I want - my bubble-wrap.

No comments: