Thursday, February 25, 2010

Encounters with fullstops, commas and excalamations...


I hate fullstops… I wonder why ?? They have a sense of finality about them which I don’t like… I always prefer leaving a sentence open ended with a continuum… It is a bad style of writing as you are probably already commenting on but let me indulge myself at least in my own spaces… It is strange indeed that while one "." conveys with so much finality the end of a thought, a string of them "….." give a feeling of continuation and a sense of lingering …. Strangeness of the language and the human mind indeed!

And with that ".", I intend to put a full stop to my ramblings.

But then I love exclamations !! There is a certain joie de vivre about them as they jump out at you from the midst of all those characters and transform simple words into wonderful emotions…

Commas, well… they just give you spaces… comfortable spaces to work with !!! They help you sort out your thoughts as they rage about in your head….

2 comments:

Jijesh said...

what about "?"

r.suvasini said...

Question marks define me or rather us all... Who, why, what, when, and the list goes on.. Question marks are windows to knowledge if taken seriously.. being a "scientist", I guess question marks add meaning to my life... but without an answer, "????" can be teasing, taunting and harrowing... and then teach you the lesson of patience which will stand with you through the rest of your life...