Monday, May 2, 2011

Writing - the self and the non-self behind it...

Someone I know was once preparing a write-up for applying to a training program. I had been through the rigor and remembered it to be a rather laborious process. Not because writing is difficult but because writing your thoughts and ideas in a way that others can appreciate their value is rather challenging (and word limits are another impediment I find rather hard to negotiate !!). But then here was this person who had sent off the application within hours of receiving it. Honestly, I felt like some nincompoop who was struggling (for a couple of days at least) for a task which someone else wrapped up (very confidently at that) in a few hours. Since this was an acquaintance, I asked, fishing for the secret of course, and I was told with great candour..."I just write what they want to read".

I don't know what kind of emotions this brings in your mind, but to me, it was a mix of shock, anger, disgust and repugnance. In my mind, there was a monologue in progress that was ranting, huffing and puffing - "You write what they want to read ???? Where is your sense of self, you sycophant ? Maybe you should stop sucking-up to people and their egos and really think about what you want to do and say !!!" and the tirade went on in my head.... !!! (Thankfully, because I am really not looking to add embarrassing moments to my list of "why doesn't the earth crack up and take me in?" moments.)

As is the norm, with most of our chemical-driven, emotional surges, this rant too petered down with time and I went along with my life as it was.

But then one fine day, I happened to encounter a lady who was trying to impart some skill on writing. And there I was listening to her with all earnestness, when she said this one statement which brought back a whole flood of memories and the same chemical surge. She said, when writing... "you have think of what the audience wants to read. That is the secret to success." To re-phrase with my understanding, when writing, one must write - not the truth, not one's opinion, not what is right and not what one knows.... BUT, one must write what the reader wants to read !!!

I don't know if you can imagine the maelstrom which raged in my head as I sat through for the rest of the talk... but do try and picture it (because I felt like Tom being thrashed under a huge anvil by the antics of little Jerry). But this emotional surge also left a strong memory trace behind... something which made me question the foundations of my thinking !

I have always believed that one should write what is compelling... to you or to itself. Somethings just need to be told because of their magnitude and their impact. Some other things need to be told because "you" think they are worthy of being told. You, then write and find the words that best describe your thought and its relevance in a way that you think best conveys your situation and then wait for it to find its readers. Of course, I do not mean that you write in an incomprehensible and ambiguous manner where the actual thought is buried deep, cloaked in words and unable to reach out to the reader... but I certainly am not able to appreciate the idea of writing for the reader.

To me, writing is a reflection of the writer. It holds great meaning because it is a window into someone's mind. It needs to be honest and purposeful so that I as a reader, can sense the conviction that made it all happen. I read so that the writing can open doors and windows where walls existed before. I read to learn and I read to unlearn. I read for facts and I read for possible opinions, that i may have ignored. I read to change my world view... I don't read to have someone pander to my opinions and conform to my thoughts. For that I might just as well listen to myself.

How then do I explain this seemingly-pervasive contrary philosophy which has invaded my world.. ? Do all writers write for an audience ? Isn't there "a story that needs to be told" which lays the foundation of every piece of writing? How is our world being engulfed by this approval-seeking urge such that even our most creative and noble pursuits are dictated by the "others" and not by our self... ?

I wonder If I am the only fool who is holding onto these utopian perspectives while the rest of the world is watching a different movie altogether....


3 comments:

SecondSight said...

I think it largely depends on what is being written, and why. All writing must certainly start with a strong idea,the urge of a story that needs to be told. But beyond that, there are ample examples of good stories that are badly narrated!

As far as writing with a reader/ audience in mind- I think that applies in a more professional context. And it's as simple as- the times of india, hindu, NYT and countless others might cover the same piece of news. But certain readers gravitate towards certain sources. And the same way- if you want to get published in the NYT, you don't write the piece like you would for Yahoo news.. its more a question of the craft/ tools than the story/ idea.

Suvasini said...

That I can understand and I certainly would agree. I definitely wouldn't like my Hindu editorial to smack of yahoo or rediff news. But the point is, don't we just change our writing style to suit the format and the medium... ?

All I am trying to say is that changing the style is understandable but the content has to remain pretty similar right ? Because you are after all narrating the same story or generating the same opinion.

What i understand from most people is that you write depending on what people want to read... I don't think that's the right way to go because a well written piece will find its readers while even a "popular" topic can be trashed with bad writing. And when teachers and guides propound such advice, it just makes me sick to the core...

SecondSight said...

My understanding of "write what people want to read" is more a question of changing styles to suit the medium. A given piece of information/ story can be presented in several different ways, so the way it is written does depend on the intended audience rather than just what the writer wants to say.

Of course, there is also the classic difference between idealism and practicality- Not every story sells, and professional writers have to earn their living, which depends on the rather fickle reader :). Zinsser/ Ralph Keyes explain the idea pretty well.. not sure what the teachers/ guides have to say about it.