Monday, August 22, 2011

New kid on the block...

There is a new kid on the block,
To add to our eclectic flock.
She waltzed into our lives with love and life,
with those tiny cooing sounds, she wiped out any signs of strife...

Blessed with parents who love her dear,
With uncles and aunts, all far and near,
She is the apple of our eye,
She is our little "Nittilai" !

Happy birthday Nittilai.... ;)




Time flies !

Six years ! That's how long it has been since I met this stranger for the first time - Nittilai's mother and my dear friend.

She sat across me with her friends and I barely noticed her presence. Over the next few days, I realized that the stranger was a course-mate but that's all she was for a while. Gradually she became more than a course-mate. She became an acquaintance, the friend of a friend and that's what she was for a long time. We would laugh together, share jokes, eat out and talk but something was missing. The connection was limited.

And then there came a time, when a lot of things went wrong.

When some friendships withered and distances blossomed in grounds where intimacies had flourished. And somewhere then, a new seed of friendship was sown. This acquaintance for the past few years became a friend. A friend unlike any. It was friendship that took root under the toughest of conditions and turned out to be a sturdy little plant. With the years, the climes changed and this young sapling soon grew well.

It was a friendship that got me closest ever to unconditional acceptance. A friendship that gave me courage and strength to carry on by its sheer presence. A relationship where words were superfluous, where somehow there was this implicit acceptance of the other person, for just who they were. We had found something special. A friendship that strengthened with time. That was almost four years ago and it has stayed the same, in a way that is difficult to explain, to understand and to question. And I don't !

Today, six years after I met that stranger, I find a miniature version of the same person in front of me. A tiny being who is the essence of two of my friends. And even as i wish that i could have been there with them through these wonderful life changing moments, I hold onto the faith that our friendship with withstand all the changes that life brings and will only grow from strength to strength.

This post is just to mark a celebration. To raise a toast to a new member in our extended family. To welcome my dear friends to a new phase of their life. Here's wishing them a wonderful time ahead with their little bundle of joy.

And Here is hoping to meet that bundle of joy soon... ;)




1 comment:

Rafiki said...

This post is so full of newness. :) I love new born babies there is something so mysterious and wonderful about a new baby. They have a whole life ahead of them.