Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A childhood lesson...

A brief glimpse down the memory lane made me recall this one sentence which was a constant companion through my school days. Hours were spent in the evenings, trying to write this sentence multiple times in cursive hand -

"A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".

I was always amazed by the fact that this simple sentence contains all the alphabets in the english language (which of course made it a pangram) !

I used to occasionally wonder how many of these are around...

And then a simple google search on a lazy monday morning yielded a huge list of pangrams.... none of these however seemed as elegant as this one simple sentence...

Here is a partial list that i came across.... Wonder if you have any ?

  • Nymphs blitz quick vex dwarf jog. (27 letters)
  • Big fjords vex quick waltz nymph. (27 letters)
  • Bawds jog, flick quartz, vex nymph. (27 letters)
  • Bawds jog, flick quartz, vex nymphs. (28 letters)
  • Waltz, bad nymph, for quick jigs vex! (28 letters)
  • Fox nymphs grab quick-jived waltz. (28 letters)
  • Glib jocks quiz nymph to vex dwarf. (28 letters)
  • Bright vixens jump; dozy fowl quack. (29 letters)
  • Vexed nymphs go for quick waltz job. (29 letters)
  • Jack fox bids ivy-strewn phlegm quiz (30 letters)
  • How quickly daft jumping zebras vex. (30 letters)
  • Two driven jocks help fax my big quiz. (30 letters)
  • "Now fax quiz Jack!" my brave ghost pled. (30 letters)
  • Vamp fox held quartz duck just by wing. (31 letters)
  • Five quacking zephyrs jolt my wax bed. (31 letters
  • The five boxing wizards jump quickly. (31 letters)
  • Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz. (31 letters)
  • Kvetching, flummoxed by job, W.zaps Iraq. (32 letters)
  • My ex pub quiz crwd gave joyful thanks. (32 letters)
  • Few quips galvanized the mock jury box. (32 letters)
  • The jay, pig, fox, zebra, and my wolves quack! (33 letters)
  • Quizzical twins proved my hijack-bug fix. (34 letters)
  • The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (35 letters) (Used to test typewriters and computer keyboards, and as sample text; famous for its coherency, dating back to 1888)
  • Wolf zombies spot the jinxed grave. (36 letters)
  • Heavy boxes perform quick waltzes and jigs. (36 letters)
  • A quick chop jolted my big sexy frozen wives. (36 letters)
  • A wizard’s job is to vex chumps quickly in fog. (36 letters)
  • Sympathizing would fix Quaker objectives. (36 letters)
  • Pack my red box with five dozen quality jugs. (36 letters)
  • Fake bugs put in wax jonquils drive him crazy. (37 letters)
  • Woven silk pyjamas exchanged for blue quartz. (38 letters)
  • Brawny gods just flocked up to quiz and vex him. (38 letters)
  • My faxed joke won a pager in the cable TV quiz show. (39 letters)
  • The quick onyx goblin jumps over the lazy dwarf. (39 letters)

2 comments:

Karthik said...

I myself was only aware of the 'quick brown fox' one ! And I agree, it is the simplest and the most elegant of the lot.

Unknown said...

Great collection... Makes me buy a copy writing book and start writing one page a day one line picked from your blog