Friday, March 11, 2011

Strangers in the night...

It was a gusty night and I was all alone even though I was surrounded by a crowd. Was I lost ? I knew something was wrong but my mind was not cooperating. It was staring at something beyond nothingness and I could feel nothing but a deep chill seeping down till my bones. I felt devoid of air, devoid of life, as if i had been stuffed into a freezer with no protection.

I needed a familiar face and I needed someone to hold on to. I needed someone to pull me out. But amidst all those people, i couldn't find a familiar soul. Someone to reach out to. They were strangers, chattering among themselves, unaware of my existence., unaware of my pain. I felt like I was the last person standing and yet i felt dead. And then from somewhere I felt a hand reaching out and holding mine. I could feel the warmth spreading through me. I could feel life coming back to me. I was no longer numb with fear and pain. I could suddenly feel pain. Tears rolled down even as my heart melted away. into nothingness. There were no words exchanged, just a glance, i think. But as those two hands held me, I knew things will be fine. I don't know whose hands they were but i know they gave me succor. I know they brought me back from the vast never ending emptiness. I was staring into. I could feel the air in my lungs and the blood in my veins. I was back and with that realization, I snapped out of it.

I opened my eyes only to find myself in my bed. It was just a dream ! But a dream that is etched in my memory. A dream that I vividly remember which is an unusual thing in itself. Even today when i see things going wrong, i can feel that warmth of those hands and that is the only thing that lets me carry on. I can feel the warmth and i can feel my heart as it started beating with renewed hope. But today reality clouds my perception. I cannot completely feel the intensity of that one moment. I don't feel the pain either. Just the feeling of life coming back. Just the feeling of having found someone to hold onto. I wish i could get that same feeling, just one more time. Sometimes, I wish i were dreaming still. Only to feel that warmth again. Only to hold those hands again. Only to see those eyes filled with understanding again.

Some moments are like that. They leave an imprint on your life, for a very long time to come.

No comments: