Thursday, March 10, 2011

Those deep brown eyes...

I see your little brown eyes staring at me through the bars and I try not to think of what they can see. I give you food and water and my silent words. I follow your life as I would follow mine. I have seen you grow up from that tiny helpless being to this scampering, fighting adult. Over the months, I have cared for you with all my might but then one day I know, it is going to be the time for your last night. For the day when you will be just another subject. Just another answer and just another number. I tell myself this over and over again but your eyes still pierce my shell.

I can see death as I stare into the mirror. I can feel the pain that you may never feel. I feel your heart racing in my hand and I feel my heart racing too. Out of fear and out of guilt. I try to keep you away from the truth through a veil of darkness but somewhere, deep down inside, I think you know.

I feel your soft skin as I hold you in my hand. I can see the future and I know I am the cause. I see your struggle against the inevitable. I know you sense the future and I know you don't like it. I try not to pain you, even as I do the unmentionable. They tell me you don't feel a thing and that you are now in a blissful sleep. I pinch and prod only to make sure they are right. They tell me I should be calm, for you can feel my pulse through my fingers and I hope that you can feel my pain too.

My pain at giving you pain. My regrets at letting them do it. But then they tell me, it is inevitable and that I should look at the bigger picture. That some people must suffer for the greater good of many. And that your death was inevitable, and this way I just learnt more through it. They tell me you've made a difference in your death. I rationalize my actions and I try to look at the bigger picture. I say to myself, I am only the means and the end is already pre-ordained. I say to myself though I find it hard to believe that your life is justified by the end because that's what you were meant to do.

And then, I wonder if I too am just another mode of inquiry. If my life too rests at someone's mercy ? And if I too am fighting the inevitable ? Am also just another pawn who is unable to see the bigger picture ? Am I struggling in vain for someone higher up is pulling my strings too? Am I also clothed in veil of darkness, a veil I am trying to break through.

Even as these thoughts haunt me, I know I have other things to take care of. And so I listen to them and shut my mind off. I get busy and my mind moves onto other matters, only to be reminded again when I find another you peeking through those doors and nibbling at my fingers.















For those who are wondering ....

3 comments:

Veena said...

:) i really wish you hadn't put the picture of the mice there.. i liked it better when it wasn't obvious, and was up to the reader to colour it with their imagination.. it makes it a more interesting read.. and the shades it assumes in the eyes of the various readers would add to that.. and oh.. btw.. welcome back after the hiatus.. :)

Suvasini said...

Thank you dear. I hope this is a more regular feature. I see to be writing lesser and lesser.

As for the picture, well, i agree with you and i had dilly-dallied a lot before i actually put the picture. I put it finally because i didn't want to leave such an ambiguous image of me (the death angle was too much for me carry with me).

The post is also in some ways a note of apology and dedication and I guess anonymity will not achieve that...

SecondSight said...

This post reminds me of Flowers for Algernon, one of my favorite books ever, and a must-read for anyone that works in biology. I tend to agree with the idea that we are just as much in the hands of higher powers as the animals/ organisms we work with are in our hands. But they don't lose their individuality (or verve :)) simply because of this.. and neither should we :)