Thursday, October 20, 2011

Just one of those things...

Having recently written a post on the ineffectiveness of current scientific research in helping to save lives in the immediate future here,  I found it ironical when I read about Ralph Steinman, the recent Nobel Laureate and his struggle with Cancer. Now Dr Steinman died three days before the Nobel was announced and the committee announced the decision without knowing of his demise. However, despite the fact that the Nobel prize is not awarded posthumously, in this case the committee on being appraised of the situation, decided to let the award hold. That itself to me was dramatic and a very appreciative and practical gesture. 

But the whole story behind Dr Ralph Steinman's life and his struggle with the disease make the entire situation very poignant in more ways than one. Many of you may have already come across this article but I thought I would share it just in case... 


No comments: