Thursday, March 11, 2010

Parentheses...


Ryan Bingham: I thought I was a part of your life. 
Alex Goran: I thought we signed up for the same thing... I thought our relationship was perfectly clear. You are an escape. You're a break from our normal lives. You're a parenthesis. 
Ryan Bingham: I'm a parenthesis?" 

 ---- Up in the Air, 2009, Oscar nomination, George Clooney 

Something about the above conversation has been haunting me from the time i heard it for the first time... while, i loved the usage of "parenthesis" and the context, I could not come to appreciate the import and usage of the statement. 

A few days and a few cups of coffee later, I think i understand the statement... and i do not quite like its usage above... In the context of the movie, Alex is treating Ryan as a break in a her normal life, a parentheses, escape from reality and therefore an exclusion from her life... 

I, on the other hand, am looking for the parentheses to define my life... It is not just a break from normalcy... It encloses and protects you, It adds meaning to your life and grows with you... binds you in love and defines you... 
It is a break from the maddening crowd outside.... It steals you from the rest of the world... Its where you want to be at the end of the day
Its your niche - unspoilt and intimate.. 
I am looking for my parenthesis...


No comments: