Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Relativity....

Relativity defines our lives ... from Einstein's law of relativity to our purchase of daily groceries (we buy relative to a 1kg weight !!), we are constantly surrounded by relativity. In sciences and engineering again, one almost always needs a reference or a scale bar to which you measure up everything else... Relativity defines us is more ways than one !

But then what is the reference for people ? How do you scale people ? In the right or in the wrong ? Capable or incapable ? Given a situation what is the way to judge people in a fair and unbiased way... ? I have always needed a scale and a reference point on which to weigh people, situations, actions and opinions ! "Do unto others as you would like to be done unto you" is a maxim that seemed like a sensible option to take. And so, in my life, I ended up using myself as the scale and the reference. Given a situation or when asked for advice, i have always wondered what i would do in that particular situation and then reacted or advised accordingly. I chose many years ago to be the scale and to lead my life according to my rules... I chose to be the reference because I thought i am just like the others and what i can do they can, and, what they can do, i can...

This seemed like the perfectly natural way to go ahead till of course i saw the problems arising out of this scaled approach !

I spent all my years weighing every person and every action with myself as the reference till i came to wonder recently if my original premise is correct... Are all people equally capable and gifted ? Can they think and react similarly ? Am i the right measure ? Perhaps not, people are different and come through different paths.... Their past trajectory determines their future directions... They form their future from the raw materials provided to them ? We need certain experiences to become certain kinds of people... and not everyone has similar experiences at similar phases... !!! I now find, my scale to be suddenly non-functional as i am unable to comprehend a number of people, their thoughts, their ideas and their concerns.... I feel anchorless and adrift when i encounter such situations and people...

I face this dilemma on an almost daily basis, if all people are different, then how do you judge people and situations ? There is hardly a universal right which is applicable in life? How do i evaluate people and situations and what do i base my reactions and decisions on ? How does the world function, i wonder ? Don't they judge ? Don't they need a scale to judge ? Don't they need a reference and a standard ? Do they form their own codes and standards or do they blindly follow what the world dictates ?

In science, one can always bank on averages, means and medians to give you some insight... Will this approach work here ? If I try to determine my position in the world's Gaussian curve, will i be better equipped to judge and evaluate others. Maybe or maybe not... But for now, I am a girl in search of the middle ground and the average ! That region of the spectrum where the abilities of the majority lie and perhaps that would be a good reference point to try and evaluate people, situations and opinions... So, as i search for my place under the sun, I also wonder where I am placed relative to the others....

No comments: