Monday, August 9, 2010

Caffeine callings....


Everyone has a weakness... I have mine too... I am an addict !!!

A caffeine addict ... :-)

Coffee is my strength and my weakness... !!!

A good cup of strong, hot coffee completes my day... It softens the blows of failed experiments and gives me a buzz... :-)
It gives me the strength to carry on....
My days feel incomplete without my regular two cups of caffeine shots... But its not just any coffee that works for me...
Americano, Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte, Frappe, Macchiato, Irish.... they all leave me wanting for more...

Its something about the humble, south indian filter coffee that just lingers with me, and leaves me craving for more... the lovely aroma, the bitter-sweet taste, the froth on top and the warmth that seeps through to thaw your veins.... Nothing can beat the filter coffee that one gets in those tiny steel glasses where you need a cup underneath to hold on to the glass... Nice and strong, that melts your sorrows and defrosts the mind...

Coffee is all I need... to get over a failed experiment or to relax after a hard day...Its my companion for my book reading sessions (my only problem is that it doesn't last as long as the book... :-)) or the never ending chats with friends...

But besides its ability to be my biggest strength, coffee is also a big weakness for me... because on those rare days when i don't get my usual cuppa, I am left with a splitting head that almost signals the end of the world...

I guess that's where the saying comes from - "Given enough coffee, I can rule the world" (courtesy a friend and some online resources.. :) )

And, so I pray that i keep finding my regular cup of hot, strong south indian filter coffee as i work my way through life...

"Caffeine is my shepherd; I shall not doze.
It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
It restoreth my buzz:
It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction,
I will fear no Equal™:
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me.
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of The Starbucks:
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over.
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell in the House of Mochas forever.

~Author Unknown
"

A bit extreme but true nonetheless... :-)


[For the more scientific and historical aspects of caffeine - I have dedicated a section to this wonder beverage on my other blog "skeptic in wonderland... "
http://skeptic-in-wonderland.blogspot.com/

Man... i don't seem to be getting over my love for coffee or what ? :-)]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

cut down on the habit :-) Look at this living example :-)

But I think it is about my dopamine receptors.. Mine is quite inactive while yours is hyperactive.

I am addicted to not having coffee and I am addicted to help people de-addict from the habit :-)

Looking at your blog, it seems a life time of counselling isn't enough for you to stop the habit :-))

Suvasini said...

Well... why dopamine... Only adenosine receptors are involved...and i only indulge in moderation... and i know i can deaddict... :)

So, I think i am good..
thanks for the attempts though..

Unknown said...

oh god... I am so addicted to caffeine now :-((

Unknown said...

suvasini take a look at this

it is about caffeine and dopamine *scratches-chin*

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/drugs-alcohol/caffeine4.htm