Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Two worlds....

I live in two worlds and i flit back and forth between the two...

One is a world of pure rationality, where emotions, feelings and gut instincts have no say. Where i have to believe what the numbers tell me... and i have to defend my thoughts with numbers... here i fight with reason and with caution...
I define the problem and search for the answers...
When in this world, I am forced to abandon my heart and ignore my feelings of despair and ecstasy, of hope and fear, of pain and strength... !!! I live here with my mind fully in control. Its a place where every action is well thought out, where every possibility is analyzed and where every result is true... Its a world of objectivity and absolutes where perspectives don't matter.

And then i step out of the confines of this world of pure thought and there is another world where emotions rule the roost...

Where logic fails and where emotions dictate all... where rationality is a bystander as the heart takes over the mind... Where people dictate the rules and the norms...
Its a place where randomness rules and you just make the best of what is available... you battle bruised egos and hurt sentiments... you try to make sense without the numbers to your aid... Where nothing is significant or everything is...
Where relativity and the shifting perspectives mar your vision... where everything is subjective and nothing is objective !!!

I try in vain to straddle the two and i miserably fail...

I try to inject some passion and heart into the cold numbers
and I try to induce some rationality and thought into the latter...

but....

nothing changes as i battle alone against the boundaries of these two worlds...
I am desperately trying to make sense of each and still miserably failing in both...

3 comments:

Mukta said...

hello!
you write simply brilliantly :)
the style is easy flowing, familiar and i find myself agreeing with so much of what you have to say.
lovely blog!

Suvasini said...

Thank you Mukta !! I am sure you do agree... In research, we all often come across these phases where the contrasts are too stark to miss or ignore....

Neeraja said...

I can completely relate to this post. But I do see my worlds mixing - I have started bringing in emotions to research (at least in terms of passion and wanting to reconnect with the human element), and as much analytical thought as possible to my personal life. I can't be thankful enough for my world of rationality to bury under when emotions become hard to control.