Monday, October 18, 2010

A River runs through...


Like the banks of a river, you and I are similar in so many ways and yet so different. We share, we exchange and we understand and yet, we can never be the same. We are as different as the fertile soil on one hand and the rock on the other, as the river of humanity runs through… Our past, present and future are shared in some ways and yet we are at very different stages of our beings.


I am the rock that has hardened with time and has weathered many a storm. I live for myself by my own code, unmindful of what the world may say or think. I reach out to the skies to find my highest potential for no one but me. I have battled all my life against the forces of nature, in holding my own. I was driven by perfection and by my vision of utopia. I spent my life like a constant struggle from one test to another trying to better myself and prove myself all over again. Driven by perfection there was always more to do and never enough to celebrate. Driven by expectations, of me and of others I was never able to accept people for what they are. I could only see their potential and this unfulfilled potential unsupported by hard work and determination only angered and disappointed me. Over the years, I have seen my world come crashing down many a times with expectations unfulfilled and dreams shattered. I have been chipped and bruised. I have been run down and I have been run over. Over the years, in the tiny crevices of my being there is new life in the form of new hopes and dreams. They are a result of all my toil and they make life worthwhile for me.


You, on the other hand are the fertile soil on the banks at the other end of the river. You have lived your life and enjoyed your intellect, unhurried by challenges, trials and tribulations. Like the fertile alluvial soils, the river carries you with it. You are moulded by the river of humanity as it charts its course. You exist with the river and because of the river. You live for the masses, oblivious of your true potential as your goals are different from mine. On your fertile soils grow many an idea. The river that makes you who you are and you live your life with the river.


You look at the rock in me and say "Why are you so stubborn ? Why not flow with the river ? Why stand at the periphery and watch the world go by ?". And I watch you being carried from shore to shore, tossed up and down, with very passing current and I wonder - "Why not hold your ground ? Why not let go of the river ? Why not live for your own sake for that is the highest purpose after all ?".


But then, that’s who we are… It is our nature and such it will be… Until you are hardened by the forces of nature into the rock that forms the river bed and I weathered by storms form the river bank… And then life would have perhaps come a full circle… I see your future like me and you could see my future like you… Who is to survive, who knows ? And who knows whose way is the right way to live… It is only our nature that makes us so and that's how we will be till the forces of nature and the winds of time work their charm...



1 comment:

SecondSight said...

"Who is to survive, who knows ? And who knows whose way is the right way to live?"
- There is a place on earth for soil, and a place for the hard rock. To each his own :). The forces of nature and the winds of time are what have shaped both rock and soil to their current forms, after all.
To ask which one is the right way to live seems like questioning the flow of life itself.