Monday, October 25, 2010

The road...

As life takes another unexpected turn around the bend, I decide to sit by the side and just watch.


Through my weary eyes, I see people. They come and they go. Rushing, meeting deadlines, setting goals and attaining them….


They are told that the end justifies the means and so they run frantically towards the end.


They trample and run over the road in their hurry to see the end. They use the road for all their needs oblivious of its presence. Sometimes they fall and they curse the road. They blame the road for every folly of theirs without ceasing to imagine what the world would be like without that very road....


Weighed down as I was by my burdens, I sat down by the edges and watched the road as it stoically braved every footstep that walked over it…


Unacknowledged, uncared for and yet un-protesting….

It is bruised and grazed as people walked over it in their mad rush for the end… The forces of nature weather the road even as it continues to lead the way. Through night and day, through summer or fall, the road stood there, ready to help and ready to guide. To strangers and to friends, to seekers and to the revelers. It doesn’t protest.


Why ?


How does it stand being used like that ?


Is it just putting up with it because it cannot fight ?

Is it helpless and therefore accommodating or is it just a greater being ?

Is it gracious and benevolent, spreading its largesse or is it just another victim ?

Is it clinging on to the hope that somewhere deep down inside people probably will realize the importance of the road that led them….?

Does it care for the fame it gets as people spread the word about it ?

Is the road only fulfilling its destiny ?

Does it 'understand', somewhere deep down, that the means matter more than the end ?


Or perhaps, the road is just another traveler like you and me seeking the unknown ?


Why can't I be like the road ?


Why do I care who finds their way through me ? Why do I feel "used" when people form

relationships driven by nothing but need and convenience ? Why am I not able to disconnect from all but my journey… ? Why am I not able to live the thought that the "means is all there is"… Maybe the road does not complain because it 'knows' that the road is all there is - the means and the end. Maybe that is what I need to learn.

No comments: