Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A note for the future...

As a biologist, I know that Evolution has built in us the innate desire to procreate and produce more of our kind. But compelled by intellect, as i do contemplate, i realize that we have a psychological need in addition to a biological driving force to have children... We all seem to want someone who is a reflection of ourselves, someone who will live on while we are long gone, someone who will let us realize our dreams and fulfill our desires... someone with whom we can relive our childhood our way, someone in whom our thoughts and ideologies could live on long after we are gone. I have often been told that children should be grateful to their parents for the life they have been provided and for their very existence. And strangely, unlike the many others i know, i have always questioned this premise.... I have never really managed to see much sense in this statement because to me it seems that having a child is the most wonderfully selfish experience one can have. I want a child for fulfilling my own desires, for my own existence. The child only benefits as a consequence... Seems blasphemous to many... but can you deny the ultimate truth behind all of that...? This is of course not to deny the fact that the parents undergo a lot of turmoil to bring up the child and love it more than themselves... but then the motives are always self-centered... ??? (mind you, I am not against selfish behavior - it is our natural instinct and the reason for our evolutionary success). This of course was met with strong protest by friends.. and the common refrain was that i will change my opinion when i have children if my own... The definitive answer is of course something that only time will tell... but, I did get down to writing a few things down which i would like my children to know... O dearest child of mine, you are and will remain the most treasured possession of mine, I will love you no matter what cos you are after all a reflection of mine... but, i would love for you to grow up into someone I can respect.. who can be better than me in every aspect I want you to love me for what i am and not just because i am your parent I may at times lose my cool or be unreasonable for a start but at such times, remember that i cant help but have your best interests at heart you are all that i would have ever wanted who will be in my image and still be better than me you are a result of my reflections and impressions I want to protect and nurture you, relive my childhood through you give you all that i ever wanted because that's all i can do I have my failings, i have my limitations but remember that I am just human, compelled by love and fear and that I will always be near and you will always remain dear O dearest child of mine, you are and will remain the most treasured possession of mine... :) I hope I do turn out to be a good parent and manage to have children who would eventually "choose" me as their parent... Seems like wishful thinking in the age of widening generation gaps but hey, that's what hope is for !! ;)

No comments: