Monday, May 10, 2010

An ode to Tagore...

A sunday morning chat with a friend about Tagore in the morning and articles about his 150th anniversary today made me take out a few moments from a lazy Sunday to pour over a translation of his "Gitanjali". I have always liked his poetry and his writing and have always understood his ideologies and often agreed with them. I havent read Tagore extensively but then the few minutes I spent with his work today revealed a couple of gems, which I really liked. Here's one... I Thought that my voyage had come to its end At the last limit of my power, - That the path before me was closed, That provisions were exhausted and The time come to take shelter in a silent obscurity. But I will find that thy will knows no end in me. And when old words die out on the tongue, New melodies break forth from the heart; And where the old tracks are lost, New country is revealed with its wonders. And another... When the heart is parched up, come upon me With a shower of mercy. When grace is lost from life, come with a burst of song. When tumultuous work raises its din on all sides Shutting me out from beyond, come to me, my lord of Silence, with thy peace and rest. When my beggarly heart site crouched, shut up In a corner, break open the door, my king, and come With the ceremony of a king. When desire blinds the mind with delusion and dust, O thou holy one, thou wakeful, come with thy light And thy thunder.

No comments: